16 April 2011

How far?

On the wall of the Guildhall are the distances from Winchester to a number of cities. Many people commute by train from Winchester to London and for 1 and a half years I commuted myself before my job moved down this way - 135 miles round trip by car each day! I now work closer to Southampton which you can see is a civilised 12 miles away. Both Southampton and Portsmouth are port cities, Southampton being more for container ships and cruise liners whereas Portsmouth is the Navy (for now..) and a few ferries, both cities were damaged quite extensively during WW2 although there are a few old buildings still remaining. Salisbury in Wiltshire is another beautiful cathedral city, not too dissimilar from Winchester.

2 comments:

  1. So glad you visited me and commented at MammothLakesDP!!! About 2 years year ago I visited Winchester...it's a lovely town...I have posts about it in my Photographic Journey blog!!! I'm adding you to the blogs that I follow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, glad you liked Winchester, I too think it's a lovely town, but I am a bit biased!

    ReplyDelete